The Community Library’s Technology Services Department keeps you connected and up to speed in the world of tech!
The Technology Services Department strives to keep the Library at the cutting edge of free, public tech offerings. With our 30 free public access computers, free public Wi-Fi, and iPad and Nook checkouts, you can get connected, find what you’re looking for, and experience new devices.
Since 2011, the Library has offered the fastest connectivity around through 200Mb/s of fiber-optic internet. Since 2012, Tech Outreach has furthered the Library’s mission by helping our patrons expand their knowledge of the digital world and solve their toughest tech quandaries.
What our Technology Services Include:
Free Public WiFi
The Library’s public Wi-Fi system allows patrons to tap into our fiber-optic internet connection with their own laptops, smartphones and tablets. If you ever need to download a large file, run software updates, or just stream video your heart’s content, come to the Library; they’ll be on your device before you know it.
The Library’s public Wi-Fi is unsecured and unencrypted. It is to be used at your own risk. Precautions have been taken to reduce the risk of other users intercepting your data while in transmission. However, we cannot guarantee the security of your system while connected. It is the sole responsibility of all users connecting to our public Wi-Fi to ensure that their computers have adequate anti-virus software, firewalls, and other security measures. Devices discovered to be producing viruses, spam or controlled by botnets will be blocked from the network and excluded until they are proven to be safe and cleared of infections.
Patrons are responsible for connecting their devices to our Wi-Fi network; Library staff is not available.
Public Wi-Fi Details:
- SSID (network name): CommunityLibrary
- Password/Encryption: None. Your computer may warn you that you are connecting to an unsecured network. This is normal, but use at your own risk.
Free Public Access Computers
The Library offers 30 up-to-date public access computers throughout the building. Adult Internet , the Business Workstation and Assistive Technology Workstation are found in the Reference Room. Children’s Internet and Homework stations are found in the Children’s Library.
All Adult and Children’s Homework Computers feature the following software packages:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
- Web Browsers: Mozilla FireFox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari
- Productivity: Microsoft Office 2010: Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Publisher; WordPad, Calculator
- Media: Windows Media Player, Real Player, iTunes, QuickTime
- Photo/Imaging: MS Paint, GIMP
- Mapping: Google Earth
- Desktop Shortcuts for Easy Access: Yahoo Mail, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL Mail, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter
How to use our computers
Adult Internet Computers
- Available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- To sign in, proceed to an available computer and follow the prompts.
- Sessions are 45 minutes. If no patrons are waiting, each session can be extended for another 45 minutes.
- If all computers are in use, go to the front to desk to make a reservation.
The Business Workstation
- Please reserve through the Front Desk or with the Reference Librarian.
- Sessions are two-hours long, extendable for another hour.
Children’s Internet Computers
- Please reserve at the Children’s Library front desk.
- Are available for web browsing and games only.
- Sessions are 30 minutes.
- Children under age 6 must be supervised by an adult.
Our Tech Outreach program builds on the foundations of our fiber-optic internet connection and fantastic public computers to help you better understand your digital devices and utilize the myriad internet services available on them. The core offerings are bimonthly tech classes covering a variety of topics (every second and third Wednesday of the month; see our events calendar for listings) and Tech Office Hours during which you bring us any question you may want to ask and our tech experts will give you our best answer.